Friday, January 1, 2010

black & white, but in color




















¡Feliz Año 2010!

No culture shocks experienced the past couple weeks, to my amazement. Matt and I were back in the nose-runningly, finger-numbingly, puffy-parka wearingly cold that is Minnesota Winter. I loved it. Four distinct seasons is something I miss and something a lot of people from temperate places ought to miss, if they knew any better. Living away from Home for several years now, a place I adore truly, has left me with the conclusion that I could do winters there again. "Oh, oh, oh, just try living through it for a good five months some winter, you won't be feeling the same way, there," the frustratingly cold Midwestern naysayers often retort. BUT I remember! Those naysayers fail to recall that I walked across a bridge over the Mississippi connecting the banks of the university campus. In January. Daily. For four years. I know what it feels like. I remember.

Anyway, our time back was a flurry of snow and of family. The food and excellent wine was an added bonus. Mmmm, natural peanut butter, [faux] chicken with dumplings, Indian and Vietnamese food, and moka cakes. We were given the gift of an 18 hour pit-stop in Phoenix to spend time with my grandparents, on top of everything else. Our holiday was nice. It went quickly. We snuggled with our pup, whom we miss oh so much.

But now, it does feel just fine to be back. New Year's Day is super quiet (almost eerily dead) here in D.F. I think everyone's hungover at home. Its calm is serving as a nice, gradual transition into its eventual blurry cacophony.




































Our much adored niece Evie having a showdown with Max,
my in-laws' dog (our second-favorite dog in the universe).
Matt took this one:
















Pika-bear (#1):

No comments:

Post a Comment