Thursday, April 29, 2010

Street Style















So, yeah, not too prolific this month on the ol’ blog. My sincerest apologies to the 100,000s of followers who spend their nights waiting by the computer, endlessly hitting the refresh button, hoping for a new entry on un peso para ti. What can I say, fans? It’s really a combined mixture of exhaustion (the mental, creative kind) and laziness.

What have I been up to this month? I’ve been realizing that Santiago is not the best city in Latin America, but, that said, this place does have its nooks of awesomeness. I’ve been snapping loads of pictures this month of cool little things here and there. Santiago grows on ya, if you put in the effort and come to terms with the fact that it’s not Buenos Aires.

Speaking of Buenos Aires, that supposed cultural capital of Latin America, well, we’re headed there in a few hours. So like, I should be excited. And I am. But I’m not bouncing off the walls excited. Traveling the globe for an extended amount of time becomes a drug. In the beginning, you’re so excited to see new things, it’s euphoric really. Then, you become addicted to seeing all these new things. And thus, after a while, seeing new things becomes so engrained in you that you kind of need to do it to survive. It doesn’t give you as much of the euphoric sensation as it used to, but you really still need to do it to feel fulfilled. It’s strange. I’ve reached a point of doneness, almost. I’m ready to see my family, MY DOG, meet my god daughter, be surrounded by the comforts of familiarity (i.e. go to Target when I need something, eat peanut butter, eat refried beans, recycle again, not see abandoned skinny street dogs everywhere, etc.), and breathe fresh(er) air.

So, am I totally dying of homesickness? Not at all. I’m just fine. I’m just feeling ready…ready to be done when it’s time to be done. That’s kind of good, I think. Though probably 18.5 seconds after being on home turf, I’ll want to start planning the next trip to places I’ve not yet traversed. That’s just the way it works.

So there, that’s some profound, inner stuff feelings-type stuff for you. The kind of thing I don’t really often share on here. But it’s the truth.

Whoa, seems I caught a case Tanget-uenza. The reason for a new post was to showcase some very awesome street art. I am a HUGE fan of public art. Some people hate it and think it’s tacky, but I love big, modern sculptures, huge beautiful murals, and colorful graffiti. Latin America’s known for its over-the-top omnipresent street art. Love it or hate it, you’re bound to see it everywhere.

There are definitely different styles to be found. One that I’ve noticed and enjoyed in a few different locations here in Chile is this very detailed style:



















I’ve tried to do research on it and find out who the artists are behind it, but to no avail…yet. Here are some pictures. Go ahead and admire the skill and exactitude. Talented artists, impressive work (you'll really want/need to click on the photos to enlarge, for the full effect):













































1 comment:

  1. Those are amazing! I wish our city had more street art...will never happen.

    ReplyDelete