Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bomba de Color

Yesterday, I fell in love with Coyoacan. It's a neighborhood on the southern end of the D.F. A little lesson: D.F. stands for Distrito Federal. Mexico City is just like Washington, D.C., its own separate district. Day-Efay is how it's pronounced in Spanish, and that's what the locals call Mexico City. Therefore, when I refer to Mexico City as D.F., you will know what I'm talking about (if you didn't already know).


Anyway, back to my beloved Coyoacan--wow! This place made me happy. If you looked up frenetic in the dictionary, you'd probably see Mexico City's face. Coyoacan doesn't fit that, though. Coyoacan is the right brain (artistic, creative, relaxed) to most of Mexico City's left brain. Don't get me wrong, I love the craziness of the city, but Coyoacan is a nice refuge. The skull above, by the way, is made of sugar, fondant, and icing!

Behold, some pictures of this neighborhood, Frida Kahlo's home from birth until death, sans commentary. The colors and beauty speak for themselves. From what I've heard, there are even more subdued and beautiful neighborhoods even farther from Coyoacan. We will definitely explore those areas, but this was an easy Metro ride for a spontaneous trip.









































































































This photo was taking in a beautiful plaza. Around these fruits and vegetables, there was a big celebration. Matt and I were lucky to arrive at the perfect time to watch what we surmised was an old, indigeneous peoples' harvest ritual. I am trying to research it to find out more. It was awesome. I have video if you're interested. P.S. this picture's much cooler if you click on it to enlarge.






The pictures below are dedicated to my bestie, Tina, a true lover of ice cream. Ice cream, or helado, is a national pasttime here. Tons of flavors. Below, Matt's flavor was horchata, which is a rice milk drink with sugar and cinnamon. We've had the drink in Austin, Tex many times (and it's scrumptious). My flavor was elote, or roasted corn. Next time, we're trying tequila and queso (cheese).

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures! But corn and queso ice cream? Hmmmmm....I'll have to think more about whether that's OK with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the fotografias de helado! i'm glad you're having fun discovering mexico city!

    ReplyDelete