Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Comida: Part I; or Happy Thanksgiving!

Amidst all the awesome things Mexico does so awesomely well, one of the awesomestest is El Menu del Dia at restaurants. Every restaurant at which we've eaten has one. Basically, the menu of the day is 4-5 courses for a set price. It's available during lunch and dinner times. The courses include salad/vegetable, bread, soup, entree, and dessert (and sometimes a drink, usually fresh juice). Fresh juice will get its own entry at a later date, because it's amazing.

Multiple course meals are nothing new and nothing unheard of in the States, I know. But, but, but I love the way this concept is practiced in Mexico; during our time here, Matt and I have had NOT ONE expensive meal at all. And we don't need to! We get yummy menus of the day at very affordable restaurants. I'm talking $4-8 USD for a five course foodfest!!! It's great.

Today, I'm highlighting the soup course. I have a soft spot in my heart and tums for soup; I enjoy thoroughly making soup from scratch. Luckily, Mexico loves its sopa. Of course, the ones we imbibe are vegetarian, but no matter! Perhaps it seems odd to describe the soups as delicious, yet watery AND simple (perhaps the correct nomenclature ought to be "brothy" and "minimalist"), but there is something special and worthy of appreciation when a dish works without a lot of bells and whistles.

The perfect condiment to all soups: a squeeze of lime (who knew?)













Scrumptiously simple zucchini soup (perfect for all of those in the heartland, who possess an abundance of The Big Z come harvest time)












The quintessential peasant's/proletariat's soup: Lentil
(Commie!)
p.s. this one's loaded with the other extra-special condiment--cilantro













1 comment:

  1. Mm, I love lentils! I missed you on Tofurkey Day. (Did you know they discontinued Veat? Them mofos!)

    ReplyDelete