Friday, November 13, 2009

This Week...

Seeing: We went to the jardín botanical at the sprawling Bosque de Chapultepec this past week. The conservatory was beautiful (see below) and the cactus collection was just "succulent." My, oh my, I'm such a card.






























Hearing: At this moment, Nite Jewel. Also, lots of helicopters for unknown reasons; it's quite unnerving, actually. A helicopter circling and circling and circling is more claustrophobia-inducing for me than a packed metro train. Go fig.

Eating: Below, these little pancake-itos are delicious, and they're one of the only street foods we've eaten. "What?! You haven't eaten much street food?! For shame! Isn't that what Mexico's known for???"

"Yes, that's true, but for one, most expats I've met won't often eat street vendored foods. Our feeble tums can't handle it, and you can never guarantee the level sanitary-ness of street vendors. Also, most foods made by street vendors are full of meat...from your simple steak tacos, to chicken feet, to cows' brains tacos, to pigs' uterus tacos. So, um, there's not much for non-daring Americans, much less for pescetarians/vegetarians/vegans. Does that answer your hypothetically asked question, Christine and Hypothetical Askers?"

"Oh, um, yes it does," answered sheepishly.

Anyway, back to our yummy little antojitos (little whims) made with care by lovable old ladies. They look like little pancakes, but they're actually corn flour/corn meal (masa), and maybe: sugar, almond extract, vanilla, and/or cinnamon. I'm trying to research them. Nonetheless, as the picture alludes, they're delicious with a little french-press coffee.














Wearing: It's not that cold outside. It's in the mid-60s for highs, mid-40s for lows, but our apartment is mucho frio. So, so cold. Its old walls absorb chilliness, and it's bereft of a heating system. In fact, I've learned recently that most homes do not have heaters. So, actually, we're coldest when we're just at home, sitting about. I bought these little fingerless gloves at an outdoor market. I've never owned this style of glove before (it seemed to defeat the purpose--the tips of my phalanges were always the coldest part!). However, I've found that this style of glove is very conducive to wearing inside the house, and especially for typing blog entries!! I know my mom's wondering, "'Goodnight Irene', Hija, where are you living?!"

My answer, "Just in this completely unique place called Mexico City, Mamá. Everything's just fine and dandy."

1 comment:

  1. Love the gloves!! And the pancakes look delish.

    ReplyDelete