Saturday, October 17, 2009

Playa del Carmen

I'm not gonna gloat (too much) and put up tons of pictures of the beautiful beach--especially after this past week, when our friends and family have braved some ugly, wintry weather in the Middle West. This was our balcony view of the beach, though. Not bad.














Matt and I were spoiled this week. We are usually no-frills travelers. Often, when we arrive at the hostel at which we're staying in any given city, I am crossing my fingers, saying to myself, "Please, please let it be better than the one that time in Lower Manhattan. You know, the one where I got up to use the communal bathroom at 3:30 in the morning, half-asleep, only to be scared stiff in my pjs by a big, burly dude in the very narrow corridor doing bench presses in PITCH DARK."

Quite succinctly, this was luxury; however, Matt and I were most excited to use the quotidian stuff that we don't have at our apartment in the D.F. Yay, we can use the water to brush our teeth! Not only that, we can drink the tap water! There are hot showers! There's a microwave!

Below, the resort and the balcony jacuzzi in our unit.


























We took many walks along the seashore. It was interesting. There were a lot of abandoned/semi-finished houses, palapas, and cabanas. I didn't expect that. I am always fascinated by deserted structures (don't know why), but these were very strange. I couldn't tell if hurricane Dean had destroyed them a couple years ago; or if they were the victim of some overzealous American developer whom had gotten in over his head with the whole global economy meltdown thing and realized he couldn't make a quick buck, thus abandoning his project. Some seemed to be occupied by squatters, and some just sat there awkwardly, with the gorgeous waves crashing in.





























The resort was a couple miles away from the city of Playa. We went into town a couple times. The town had an annoyingly touristy little street 5th Ave (very Cancun-ish), but once we ventured in a bit, where Spanish (and not English) is actually spoken, we were quite charmed. Playa is basically a sleepy little country town with hard-working mexicanos just trying to make a living.

Below, a picture in the city (wish I would've taken more); the lovely view from the restaurant with yummy Veracruz-style (and other styles) fish; and Matt enjoying the view with one of life's little pleasures, Coke (sans high fructose, of course) in a bottle.


















































Shout-out to my wonderful in-laws, Rod and Linda, for treating us so well this week. Honestly, it was difficult to say goodbye to them. I miss Family! Thanks, also, to my fantastic parents for dog-sitting in Minnesota during this terrible week of weather! Hey, Rod and Linda, don't forget, "Who let the dogs out?!" Ahem, sorry, little inside joke.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, wish we could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE Playa! Beautiful, quiet little city. Too bad I was sick half the time I was there... If you would have asked me, I would have told you NOT to drink the water...or eat the fish!

    ReplyDelete