Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Random Photo: Nature vs. Nurture

As previously stated, I have a fascination with dilapidated/vacant structures. Here, when buildings are closed down, when businesses die, when places are deemed unsanitary/unsafe, the local government plasters them with these big signs declaring, "CLAUSARADO," or closed. Often, I peer in, imagine what existed there, and try to determine what led to the demise. I do this, because I'm a dork and like hypothetical situations.

The other day, we walked by this half-pink building; the vivid color caught my eye. Then, I noticed its broken-down identical other half. I pondered, was it possible that the big earthquake of 1985, which hit my neighborhood hard, damaged half of this building beyond repair? There are other buildings standing (sort of...leaning, I should say) around town that seem to be irreparable victims of the quake. Or, did someone just "let this one go?" Then, I remembered a picture I took in New Orleans a year-and-a-half ago. Two identical mini-homes. One broken-down, one looking snazzy. The snazzy one also happened to be bright pink. At that time, I pondered, was it Katrina that did that to the sad house, or was it owner's neglect? In the grand ol' scheme of things, it doesn't much matter to you or me, but here they are, nonetheless. When you paint half a house pink and the other half looks as if it might fall down, you're drawing attention to the weaker half, and that's just, I don't know, weird to me.

Mexico City (click on image to enlarge):














New Orleans:

1 comment:

  1. Wow, and I thought our neighbor's purple house was over the top! :)

    ReplyDelete