Friday, October 9, 2009

This Week...

Eating: Break me off a piece of that Bueno bar! The delectable candy bars, made by the Kinder Company, are so delicious. Am I gushing?? They're just hazelnutty cream, wafery chocolate yum. I think I've had them in other countries. So if you go to a country other than the U.S. and see them, and um, you're craving chocolate, GET ONE.

Seeing: Lots of people with a lot of guts. Don't get me wrong, I love biking with a passion, but I would never have the courage to do it here. There are more bicyclists in this city than you'd imagine (considering the aggressive drivers). There are people with big (and I mean HUGE) baskets on the front of their bikes, selling various goods. There are people who commute to work (including our landlord) on their bikes. There are also those brave (sane?) souls that go out for a leisurely (?) stroll with a loved one (even some on tandem bikers--YIKES!). This one's got quite a few spokes, eh?















Hearing: I've been into Cuban music lately. There's no happier way to wake up from the sleepy doldrums than with a cup coffee and some Tito Puente. There is a small Cuban population in our neighborhood, and there's no doubt we'll soon be heading to a Cuban bar to listen to a live band. It's true that Tito Puente made a lot of Cuban music, but I was shocked to find out that he had never lived in Cuba; rather, he was Harlem born and raised. After that, I learned that he was not NOT EVEN CUBAN--he was Puerto Rican! Regardless, his music makes me happy. Here's a cool youtube clip of Tito and his orchestra from the 1980s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUimlUsSneM


Reading: This week, I finished the book Like Water for Chocolate; or Como Agua Para Chocolate by Laura Esquivel. The title might be familiar, because (a) you read the book and/or (b) you remember the movie from the early 90s. It was a very easy reading little ditty, but the storytelling was nice. This week, I'm starting a much more challenging book...a welcomed change of pace.


We're meeting Matt's parents for a week's trip to the Riviera Maya. Yes! I get to spend time with my great friend, Ocean! I'll be taking an internet vacation, too, because I can't really snorkle and type at the same time, you know?!

2 comments:

  1. I bet I know why that chocolate is so good...Kinder sounds German :)

    Like Water for Chocolate is a great read. I used to teach it to sophomores, despite the R rated parts, and it was always their favorite book of the year. They groaned about discussing magical realism and just wanted to chat about the drama, though!

    And, I've been listing to Cuban salsa music lately...at my Zumba class :)

    Sounds like a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I LOVE Kinder Bueno! My brother brought home boxes and boxes of that stuff when he came back from Italy. Sadly, it lasted only a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete